Wednesday 30 July 2008

into the hills


Light requires a prism for its constituent colours to be seen.

Something like that, anyway. I was pretty hopeless at school at physics, the only remotely appealing and memorable thing about my physics teacher being his rather attractive daughter.

I'm not even sure it was he who taught me this about light. Or whether it was simply an idle observation that I made when my BIC biro caught a shaft of direct sunlight and broke it up into all the different colours of the rainbow.

Today has been a 'prism' sort of day. I needed good, uninterrupted time to figure out the themes for Sunday morning services throughout this coming year.

I knew the over-arching theme. That's been very much a burden which the Lord has really laid upon my heart. Sort of like an intense and shining light.

Today I needed the individual 'colours'.

So I set aside the day for teasing out those 'colours' through the 'prism' of some prayerful time spent working this all through before the Lord.

It took me the whole of the morning and most of the afternoon. Tucked away on my own. Without the distraction of people or phone calls or noise.

It was humbling, exciting, and .. well, I think time that was really well spent.

Now I can't wait to get started and to see where it's all going to lead! Out of the city and into the hills, I think. Metaphorically speaking.

Like Abram and Moses.

No comments: